28 January, 2008

Time enough...?


Believe it or not, I was once asked (along with two real photographers) to take pictures at a wedding and this is the one that I liked best. The groomsman seems to be offering the viewer the gift of time.
Indeed, I found myself with some paradoxical extra time this afternoon, having left everything I need to do or read or write in my school office. I can't get back there for another fifteen minutes. So I came here, expecting to have a good old rant about being an idiot. I looked in my photo file for a fitting visual image, but opened this one instead. The portrait of this smiling man whose name I don't know has had a calming effect on me. The watch in his hand, another paradox. I'm not seeing it as a reminder of how much time I've wasted by forgetting all my study materials. Its own hands are not visible, making me realize how fluid a concept is time...the time I've "lost" I can't get back and perhaps it doesn't matter.

No comments: