13 July, 2008

"You've got 'cop' written all over you."

It was a dark and stormy night...As I took my place in line at Office Max yesterday morning behind at least 7 other people, I gaped incredulously at the one available checker. I wasn't incredulous that only one checkstand was open, that's a given at Vallejo's Office Max. The great surprise was that the young woman working the register was demonstrating exceptional customer service and moving her line along quickly. When I stepped up to pay I got a greeting and eye contact. She made sure to use the coupons that another employee had stapled to my copy/binding order to save me 20%, then studied me for a second and asked, "Are you a teacher?"

I think I gaped again. I mentally riffled through 14+ years of gradebook pages...I always recognize faces of my former students and usually remember their names a split second later, but I was drawing a blank. Thinking that she recognized me, I answered awkwardly, "I used to be. I mean, I still am, but only sort of..." I was about to ask if she'd gone to ---- High School when she explained, "You just look like you might be a teacher and as such you'd be eligible for an additional 10% off your order." I was as taken with her use of "as such" as I was thrilled with the additional 10%. Almost immediately, I snapped out of it. Teaching is a supremely important profession and it was a good one for me for a long time, but I'd rather be pegged as something more glamorous or dangerous or heroic or exotic or just plain cooler. Like an architect, cop, editor, spy, writer, voice-over talent... I mean, ¡¿What exactly about me screams teacher?!

3 comments:

Grphter said...

it's the tattoo on your forehead. ;)

Valerie said...

Thanks for not saying, "It's the pale haggard look on your visage the last day of finals week."

Grphter said...

You're welcome. Thanks for not pummeling me with OED in a teacher driven OCD fit, for thinking I might even suggest you'd have a "merle" or "haggard" look. ;)