02 February, 2008

¡Look! ¡Look!




I don't know how well this "echo" rhyme shows up. It is Sor Juana Inéz de la Cruz's romance 41, written to one of her virreinas. The rhyme is the last word of a line with the first word of the next. After I figured out what was going on, I got up from my desk and ran up the stairs to 8, wanting to show E. but I ended up on 7, and showed the people who were there. Maybe it wasn't as cool as all that. We didn't discuss it in class. We discussed 61, the one whose versos all start with palabras esdrújulas. (below-check it out!) Palabras esdrújulas are words like, well, "esdrújulas", where the stress is on the ante-penultimate syllable. Not only that, it's an irregular stress pattern. In order to perceive or produce this stress, the written accent is needed. Sor Juana doesn't just use any old palabra esdrújula, but only ones whose first syllable also happens to be the ante-penultimate. And all of those lines contain a total of 10 syllables. How cool is she???? And how nerdy am I????

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

not nerdy… geeky.. and geeky is HOT