05 February, 2008

I don't have to tell you who I voted for. Or how many velveteen jackets I now have.

photo-72.jpg

But I probably would if you asked me. I haven't always been like that. Both of my parents (in rare agreement on something) stressed the importance of simply voting, But for some reason I also focused on how important it is that we have the right to a secret ballot. It's taken until the end of today to realize that I can discuss politics with people who don't vote like I do, and even tell them how I voted. If I hesitate to talk politics it's because I'm truly ill-informed. While I might not agree with something, I wouldn't be able to provide anyone opposing me with the stimulating, challenging debate they might be hoping for. My concluding remarks might sound like this, "OK, I can see where that makes sense to you." if I'm being nice, or "OK, I can see that we can't talk about this!" if I'm not. Or "WHY are you VOTING for HIM????" if my emotions get the better of me. I've hesitated to tell people who I vote for because I always expect that they'll use that last question on me and I won't have a good answer. I know that we are charged to vote our conscience, but I usually get confused and vote with my heart and how do you explain that and still sound like a responsible citizen?

Val's favorite Election-Election link

No comments: