The view is slightly different now. One of the trees in Sproul Plaza lost a substantial branch when winds reached speed and intensity way above the norm. Earlier, I'd asked if I could open the window and for some reason added that I really like the wind...I felt the breeze for a few minutes and then had to close the window so we could hear ourselves and each other. Not long after we'd gone back to reading, I heard the crack and looked up from the Guzmán text in time to see the slow-motion fall. "Was anyone underneath?" he asked. "No." From the office we watched people six stories below stop to look or to take pictures with their phones. It wasn't until today that I thought, with utter relief, of the quartet that sometimes played there underneath...
.
They are slightly different now. More than simple M.A.stery of facts,dates, names, and characteristics of authors, movements and moments...those extra letters after our last names are a manifestation or a proof, perhaps, of a love and respect for the language and its literatures sufficient to make us want to offer the most careful study we can.
No comments:
Post a Comment