02 December, 2007

x3

blazingglory_121106.jpgblazingglory_121106.jpg

Two days ago I saw one of the doubles. After lunch I walked up a new street on my way back to the hotel. When exploring a new town I always try to take a different route on the way back. While waiting at an intersection, I saw him approach, but it troubles me that I don't remember if our paths crossed on the parallel or on the perpendicular. He wore, like I did, a black velveteen jacket (his cut for him, of course), a scarf, gloves, jeans (his fit him better than mine fit me) and black boots (his heels lower than mine and silent as they hit the pavement). His hair is brown, like ours, and his eyeglasses, framed in dark red plastic. His expression, not morose, just pensive. His eyes startle me because they are not dark. They are that light color between green and blue that glass takes on when it's been polished by the sea. This leads me to believe that perhaps he is not my double, but yours. And if he is your double, then he is also hers (as are you). I slowed as our paths crossed. (Was it on the parallel or the perpendicular?) Our gazes crossed and I saw his lips start to barely curve upward. When we'd both crossed the street (the same street or intersecting streets, I don't remember) I turned around. He did not. I watched him walking, with your buoyant steps, until he was out of sight. In his hand was a plastic bag that I would have in mine a few moments later.

Hace dos días vi a uno de los dobles.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

Yes, I made the word "crossed" line up perfectly like that 3x on the left margin. OK, I only wish I did (actually, I wish I could have made the word "crossed" cross over itself x3). I do realize that I can no longer edit this piece without shattering that little piece of serendipitous symmetry.