10 December, 2007

Between her fingernails

String of Lights has some bulbs out this week, as my attention has been focused on the papers that are due way too soon!

laregenta__12_.jpgCristina Marcos as Petra in Méndez-Leite's TV adaptation of Clarín's La Regenta

For the past few days I've been (like her co-protagonists Ana, Álvaro, Fermín, Paula and Víctor) at the mercy of Petra, that manipulative little vixen par excellence of late nineteenth century Spanish literature. I think I'm finally out from under her thumb, or as Petra herself might say, "entre las uñas". Hope to print out and turn in tomorrow the paper in which I analyze this character.

Then, on to examine a contrasting literary personage, Juana Manuela Gorriti, who attempts to create a sense of sisterhood in her community of Latin American writers and thereby foster a spirit of pan-americanism. Isn't it nicer, but not nearly as juicy a story, when we all cooperate?

No comments: