20 October, 2009

At least I looked like a grown-up. 08/10/09

The cashier at 7-11 in Elk Grove looked down her nose at my purchase. "Don't you want a drink or some chips or a sandwich to go with that?" I just shook my head and said, "Not this time." I wanted to rant and rave and then burst into tears but it wasn't her fault that:
I was scrounging though a wonderfully kitschy yet minuscule coin purse to come up with 86¢ so I could pay for the overpriced banana that, at 13:26, would be the first thing I'd put in my mouth today other than coffee because I'd not only forgotten my whole wallet at home, but also the $10 bill that Karl had left for me on the desk in the kitchen this morning was in my school bag that I left in my office (which I probably don't even deserve to have because my writing's so bad, but that's a whole 'nother rant) before hitting the road where, on auto-pilot, I took the 5 and ended up all the way in Elk Grove before stopping for banana at said 7-11, then turning around to get back to 50 so I could exit onto 99 at high speeds (but speeds not high enough to be pulled over and cited for driving without a license) to avoid being late pick up my dad after his cataract surgery and I couldn't even call to say I might be late because my phone battery was dead, but fortunately I wasn't that late after all; I arrived just before they wheeled him out the door and despite his post-surgery state, I had to regress to childhood and ask him for lunch money!

images

No comments: