So I made coffee and put it in my Free Heel and Wheel mug and made my first stop the coffee shop so I could get a ham, egg and cheese sandwich and eat said good breakfast in the car. I was happy entering the coffee shop because the line was short and I got to order from my favorite cashier. She says "hon" and "sweetie" and is even shorter than I am. And I like going to a coffee shop in the morning when I'm wearing business formal. I feel all competent and urban and professional clacking up to the counter in my high heels.
Cashier: Wait a few minutes. I'll heat it up for you. So, I haven't seen you in here in a while...
Me: Yeah, I've been better about making stuff at home. But I don't every day, so I'll still be coming in sometimes.
Cashier: Good. Sorry, but I have to ask - what's with that outfit?
Me: (smiling) Oh, I have a job interview later this morning!
Cashier: As...what?
Me: An adjunct instructor. At the university in Sacramento.
Cashier: (gaping, mouth open slightly) Uh...?
Me: You know, like a professor, except that I'm not really one since I won't have finished the PhD by the Fall. And it's only a part-time, temporary position.
Cashier: (long pause as she contemplates me) Look, I know I don't know you well enough to tell you this, but...you can't wear that to an interview.
Me: (wtf?) Why not?
Cashier: Even if you're not a professor - yet- and even if it's a part-time temporary job you need to wear something more...something less...Hon, if you go in like that, they're just not going to take you seriously.
Me: What could be more serious than pinstripes?
Cashier: (wtf?) The skirt's great, but -
Me: Oh, the jacket to this suit is in the car.
Cashier: Well, still. I'm pretty sure a t-shirt isn't appropriate for an interview at a university. Even with a jacket over it. And besides, it's April 9, for God's sake!
No, I didn't wear the St. Patrick's Day theme t-shirt to the interview. In a fit of misguided foresight I put it on to protect the light blue shirt with the lace-trimmed neck in case I spilled coffee on myself. But in hindsight, I'm not sure wearing that t-shirt with the skirt, even with the cowboy boots I'm wearing with said shirt and skirt combination right now could have possibly made it worse...
No comments:
Post a Comment