
I asked my friend to write a few lines for me about the Olympics. Every two years she hosts an Opening Ceremonies party and I've had the privilege of attending all of them since moving to this area. The event starts with appetizers and dinner, guests are asked to bring food or drink from one or more of the continents. This year - some Chinese takeout and wine from Chile and Argentina were the contributions of my household. After dinner we watch the Opening Ceremony and the as much as the Parade of Nations as we can stay awake for. The light and symbolism of Beijing's ceremony were awesome - and I don't usually like the opening ceremonies! But my friend's enthusiasm for the games activates mine, and strangely enough, also evokes in me what passes for patriotism, though I don't always root for my compatriots. I often ignore events of world significance in my blog and in general and can think of no one better than N. to write about the events. Thanks!!!
Val: So, first things first. Thanks again for being my guest blogger today! Would you like to tell our reader about yourself and how you're associated with String of Lights and/or this topic you're writing about or should I?
You: I used to have the privilege of working with you (Val).
Val: Do you have a blog or special website that you think the reader should see? Would you like to put a link to it here?
You: I can hardly keep up with email, so no.
Val: What takes up most of your day?
You: Teaching and being a mom.
Val: What are you reading? (Thought it was more appropriate than “What are you wearing?”)
You: I'm embarrassed, but it's Tara Road by Maeve Binchy.
Val: I have to ask anyway. What are you wearing?
You: My favorite Mickey Mouse shirt and comfy jeans skirt.
Val: What is your favorite Olympic event? Summer and/or Winter.
You: Gymnastics and luge.
Val: What question would you have liked me to ask you? And what would your answer be?
You: Question: Who's the newest member of your household?
Answer: Annie, the cutest little black dog in the world.
Perfecto. On to your post!
-Editor's notes: 1. The privilege was mine! 2. My well-read, book-club belonging friend has nothing to be embarrassed about. Su servidora recently read Pimp by "Iceberg Slim", for the love of God! 3. Annie is indeed the cutest little black dog.
**************
Here're my thoughts (before they end -- the Olympics, not my thoughts):
I love the Olympics. In 1972 I was oblivious to the horrors that were happening in Munich; I was only seven and too busy cheering for Mark Spitz. During the 1976 Winter Olympics we had to put foil on our windows because the contrast on our black and white TV was fading quickly. We got a new set before the Summer Games. In 1984 the library where I was working closed early so we could all go see the Olympic torch pass through our town. I've been to Olympic stadiums in Mexico City, Los Angeles and Moscow; it still gives me chills to think of the powerful events that took place at those sites. Perhaps I'm naive, perhaps I'm just an optimist at heart, but I love the Olympics and the idea that the world really can come together peacefully, even if it is only every two years.
No comments:
Post a Comment