The woman-power message of Trisha Yearwood's "American Girl" seemed about 15 years too late when the song came out. But perhaps things are different in places where Country music has a wider following, and it is a bigger deal there when a girl decides to replace the "ribbons and bows", "heels and pearls" with things that will allow her to "make it in her daddy's world". I like the song in spite of most of the lyrics not really fitting for me and most women I know. One lyric does apply. Yearwood lets us know that the subject of her song makes it through the hard times with a little help. "She's got her God/ and she's got good wine/Aretha Franklin and Patsy Cline." I understand and go there myself. But to that already excellent list I'd have to add a couple of substances and songstresses. Franklin and Cline are classic, but I may have played them out quite a few years ago. Thankfully, there's also...Courtney Love, Joan Baez, Holly Golightly, Joan Jett, Shakira (¡don't judge me!), Dolly Parton, Billie Holiday, Lola Beltrán, Emmylou Harris, Paquita la del Barrio, The Donnas, Nina Simone, Yearwood herself, Peaches, Julieta Venegas, 7-Year Bitch, Emily Jan White, Dusty Springfield, and many many others I'm forgetting...
Who are your go-to gals? Or guys?
No comments:
Post a Comment