11 April, 2008

Smell of exhaustion

la04_124801_oe.jpg

When worn out from a week that feels like a 600 mile drive, I'm not the only one who craves the scent of overbleached sheets and a particular soap that bring about deep sleep in a sterile hotel room.

Though I have to forgo the overbleached sheets in my own bed, that particular soap is in my own shower today. I found a hotel size bar under the sink this morning, on my hands and knees and without the aid of any corrective lenses. On my way back into the shower I unwrapped it. The crisp sound of the paper peeling away and the release of the sharp scent should have perked me up. Instead it evoked that feeling of finally getting to the room, opening the door with its wonky lock, dropping the suitcase, taking a hot shower, collapsing on the bed and closing my eyes but still seeing the road illuminated by the headlights.

What will you still see tonight when you close your eyes to sleep?

No comments: