9:33 PM
and I receive the following IM from a friend I'd started a chat with.
him:Hey, I've got a doggie dilemma. Can you give me some puppy parent advice?
me: I'll be happy to try.
him: thats all I can ask... Well here's the set up. I took Cosmo for a walk this evening. Somewhere along the way, we picked up a hitchhiker. A small black dog. He followed us home.
me: Oh no! Is he still there?
him: Barking on my front porch as we speak. He's got an owner, there's a collar and everything. Somebody sharpied his name "Blackie" and their name "Gabby" and there's a super smudged phone number. I can't make it out. I tried.
me: You've come to the right place. This has happened to me several times. And always on a weekend or at night when Animal Control won't answer the phone. Here's my strategy:
him: I'm all ears
me: 1. Ask a few neighbors if they know Blackie and/or his people. This works most of the time, but since it's kind of late already you and Cosmo might be stuck with him tonight...
2. If no luck, call and leave a message with Animal Control AND the Humane Society (if there is one by you), describing the dog, saying that if you don't find his people tonight, you'll bring him to the Humane Society (or ask someone to come get him) tomorrow. Yeah, that means keeping him overnight. How does Cosmo feel about him?
3. Keep him overnight. Deciding whether to keep him out or bring him in depends on your situation. I bring my own in first, then enter with the stray, making sure that mine sees he's not a threat. If mine freaks out, then the stray goes outside or in a room by itself.
4. Put an ad on Craig's List. Take a picture of the dog and mention his name.
5. Tomorrow, call Animal Control and Humane Society again until you get a live person. Then make sure someone comes to get him or take him yourself if you've got time. (I didn't add this part: Say that if no one claims him in 2 weeks you'll take him! Or I will!)
Later:
9:54 PM him: Ok...here's the latest...
9:55 PM I got up, took my water glass in to fill it, and the barking stopped.
I filled the glass, went and got Cosmo from the back porch...
Cosmo is in here now, sniffing around.9:56 PM but since it's quiet, I'm thinking I'll wait, and see on the other dog. Maybe he went off...
me: maybe he remembered where he lives and went home...
Dog owners: Please make sure your dog's name and your phone number are clearly marked on the collar. (The dog's collar, not yours, you freak!) That will save any good hearted rescuers from frustration and you'll get your dog back a lot quicker, preventing heartache all around.
No comments:
Post a Comment