"You are hungry and cranky," she said. "Making me order, knowing how bad my Spanish is..." She sat down across from me, plunking down our order number, a 70 pasted to the back of the el arpa card from ¡Lotería! sticking up from its metal holder. I took a sip of my agua de fresa. She muttered, "I probably ordered a fish taco, carnitas, and a dead body..." When I'd wiped up the agua de fresa I'd spit onto the bright floral print oilcloth covering the table, I said, "You did fine, ¡mijita!"
***
It was the closest and cheapest and nothing soaks up a wine tasting or feeds your soul like beans and tortillas. The Mexican kitsch decor, in the right circumstances, might make up for the menu's faults. The menu itself is extremely limited - Fish, Carnitas and Carne asada tacos, quesadillas, queso fundido, beans (excellent). They would do well to add burritos with rice as an option - since everyone expects the ferry building to be overpriced, they could charge about $9.50. As it was, the tacos were overpriced, and the agua de fresa watered down, even for a drink with agua as the first word. The service was surly. And to be clear, my friend's Spanish had absolutely nothing to do with that! However, come to think of it, the carne in the carne asada didn't taste quite right...
No comments:
Post a Comment