Not that a hangover can ever be "nice", but I was thinking that it might be nice if I could have one like a normal person. The typical hangover, like on TV or movies manifests first thing in the morning, ideally in the privacy of one's own home. The "victim" at least has a chance to pop some paracetamol/tylenol/advil/whatever analgesic is on hand and bolt some coffee before doing what needs to be done. The day after the night before I usually wake up unusually early with unusual amounts of energy and good cheer and smugly go about my day, thinking I've gotten off scot-free. Then, unfairly, around 3:00 in the afternoon*, it all sneaks up on me. I'm typically somewhere public, like stuck in the longest check-out line in Target or at some outdoor function on a sunny day where I have to act like I'm not suffering. Today, the light sensitivity typical of "la cruda" was extra-offensive, as my eyes were still dilated from this morning's optom. exam. Of course, I'd forgotten the sunglasses on the trip to Target, making the trip just a little piece of self-induced hell.
*Had I been more observant of this, I would have spent more "school nights" of my teaching career going out, rather than staying home not grading papers - just kidding. Sort of.
No comments:
Post a Comment