13 March, 2009

He wanted money. I didn't have time for a fishing lesson. Maybe the attempt at re-redoubling of the multiplying of the fishes was OK for today.

The poster in the window of the Tennessee St. Jack-in-the-Box was advertising Fish Filet sandwiches, 2 for $3.00. Heh. Friday in Lent. Two fishes. "A fish filet sandwich sounds good," I thought. So I drove past it and stopped at the Jack-in-the-Box on Admiral Callahan. I ordered. "Can I get a fish filet sandwich?" The cashier beamed, "Yes, they're 2 for $3.00!" "I know," I replied. "But I just want one." "But it's buy-one-get-one-free." She looked sad that I would even consider passing up that deal. "OK, I guess I could give one of them to someone..." Maybe one of my students wouldn't have eaten by the time I got to class. She put my order in, I paid, then said, "I'll be right back." and headed for the Ladies' room.

I opened the door and gasped, "Oops, sorry!" to the likely homeless man shaving in there. I closed the door slightly and checked the sign. It was a triangle with a head on it! I re-opened the door. "The men's room doesn't have a mirror in it," he explained. I was a little too taken aback to react logically so I entered into a discussion. "Well, otherwise, is it clean in the men's room? I really have to go." He stopped shaving and turned to look at me. "No, not really. You should use this one. I'll hurry it up." "OK, but I can wait until you're done," I said. And some surreal chit-chat ensued as I watched him finish shaving, my foot propping open the door. He did hurry. And when I'd finished, come out and went back the counter, I noticed that he went back in to rinse off the shaving cream he'd missed in his haste.

After I'd picked up my order and was starting to exit the restaurant I looked for him. He was still outside. "Did you eat?" I asked. "I was just trying to get $2.00 together," he replied. "I don't have any cash, but were you going to buy a fish sandwich, by any chance?" "Uh...why?" "I have an extra one. They were 2-fer." He wasn't going to buy any sort of sandwich, I don't think, but I asked if he wanted it. "I know I'll want it later," he said. "Cool!" I pulled it out of the bag and handed it to him. He thanked me and then said "Good luck." I guess it is Friday the 13th...I feel bad that I didn't give him any of my fries.

No comments: