08 January, 2009

"Yeah, so why are you here?" she asked me when the question had been come around full-circle.

My professor's emphasis on the verb indicating my presence wasn't mean, nor did it mean she didn't want me there. And it was a logical question. I am finished with my required courses. Last year I couldn't wait to be at the point where, theoretically, I should be dedicating every possible moment to preparing my reading list and writing a proposal for my dissertation, not taking more seminars. But, ¿how could I not take this one on La crónica actual en México?

Since I was seated at the 11:00 position, I'd had a lot of time to think about what I'd say during Circle Time, which in my world includes stating briefly why we're interested in taking in the seminars we're enrolled in.

And later it occurred to me...If he could list among his many attractions to the seminar's material the possible strengthening of the connection with a Polish girlfriend by way of reading Poniatowska, certainly I could have declared more of my true feelings. I might have said that a glance at the syllabus made my academic heart skip a beat. Or that I suddenly knew that I couldn't live without it. Or something more accurately reflecting my sentiments...the academic equivalent, if you will, of a drunken "take me back" serenade con todo y mariachi.

No comments: