23 October, 2007

SMART Goals du semaine - safe foods and beverages






herdezhuit_150.jpg






1. Buy produce the day I plan to use it. Why: I'm so sad that I've wasted products of the land. Tonight in a futile attempt to find dinner ingredients that didn't come from a restaurant, I pulled open the left crisper drawer looking for edible vegetables. (Not the right drawer; it contains only camera film, also possibly expired.) Only the baby carrots, sealed in a ziploc seemed safe (hmm...realized that there's a whole generation of people who think that's what a carrot looks like when it comes out of the earth...if they even know carrots come out of the earth.) I pulled out three ears of corn that had been in there since July (?) and when I saw the black and white mold, I hesitated for a moment, thinking "¿Enchiladas de...?" I snapped out of it, realizing that I prefer my cuitlacoche (no, I'm not translating it) straight from the can and I'm also pretty sure that this delicacy since Aztec times isn't really the same as fridge mold.

2. Set up coffee-maker the night before. Really, how hard is it? It's the easy part, the hard part is finding the travel mug.

3. Find the damn travel mug. Wash it. Why: the regular ceramic coffee mug with handle but no lid doesn't really work when driving a 5-speed, as elegant as it may seem. Nor do the empty water bottles I often use in my attempts to "Reduce, reuse, recycle". I spill a lot of coffee, the plastic buckles from the heat of the liquid, which probably also releases harmful chemicals.








No comments: