23 October, 2007

Presentation/Paper; Voice/Text

21 oct.

taller.jpg

Batticuore, Graciela. El taller de la escritora: Veladas Literarias de Juana Manuela Gorriti:Lima-Buenos Aires (1876-1892)

De la introducción: "Nacidos para ser escuchados antes que leídos, estos trabajos de índole diversa se convierten en textos al integrar el tomo de las Veladas Literarias de Lima..." (19, énfasis mío)

Haven't read the chapter that treats that yet, but should be interesting, as I've been considering speaking/saying. Is it more complex a process to make a text meant to be read more "listenable" or to alter a text meant to be easy on the ears of an audience of many into a meaningful reading for a variety of silent individuals who bring their own experiences and interpretations to that text? Is my very recent interest in writing that was meant to be read aloud compared with writing meant to be consumed silently justifying "...un trabajo bien armado que entretuvo también."?
_________

20 oct.

By the time I'd read the 2nd sentence of the presentation my nervousness completely dissolved. As I read the quote in which Almodóvar explains that La flor is a film of sentiments, I could feel the audience hook in and enjoy the "see how it is" of this wonderful film. Only got one question - and yes, it was the kind that took five minutes to ask and ended up not really being a question...During the break many expressed that they see Almodóvar in a more literary way. Karl's response to this - "Well, Duh!"

My nervousness returned when Magalí cued up her PowerPoint for her "Cruzando fronteras, construyendo otros mundos: Alteridad y pluralidad en los nuevos discursos zapatistas" (yeah, I know, but it was a great presentation - Magalí is not one of those "zapaturistas" who consider wearing a Sub-Comandante Marcos T-shirt an act of ...um...activism).

Even though I had settled back into my spot in the audience, my MacBook was still at the podium where it had been and would continue to be throughout the day. After discovering that Milagros' PC was not cooperating in showing images, conference organizers Mónica y Álvaro pressed my computer into service. Now, I realize that I have a somewhat unnatural attachment to this little white rectangle, so it was kind of good for it to see other people. Back to Magalí's presentation...she ended with a song from rapper Boca Floja. My computer plays all songs automatically through the iTunes application. When it came up on the screen, I gasped. I shrunk in my seat, expecting to see my whole library flash before my eyes, leaving me more exposed to my peers and professors than if someone had ripped off my pinstripe suit and left me standing in my undies and shoes. I stared helplessly as several of the song titles flashed by. ("Fade Into You" - not too bad; "Gitaneros trianeros" - excellent; "This Is How a Heart Breaks" - Oh, dear God! "Suck It To Me" - At least it's Almodóvar. I was afraid that Peaches' "I don't give a Fuck", or the James Bond theme or worse would just start playing for no reason) Fortunately, only someone who knew what to look for would catch them. Mónica quickly got rid of the display and I relaxed again, knowing that my Mac had not "gone to strangers".

No comments: