I'd thought about running across the Golden Gate Bridge off and on for the past two years, but just now realized that Tuesday was actually quite close to, if not the actual date I started running two years ago. So I guess it was a pretty good way to mark the day.
Last week I started running in the mornings, which I've never really liked. Somewhere between 18-22 minutes into the run, I'd get really bad cramps and it was an awful catch-22. I'd feel like I needed to get home as fast as I could, yet if I ran, it hurt too much. Slowing to a walk wasn't any better because of the urgency...My theory was that this time around, since I had a good 43 minute base, maybe it wouldn't happen. The first morning it did, but very the pain was mild, definitely run-throughable. The next few days were fine. In the mornings I find that I am a bit slower, and I don't feel as good during the run, but the temperature is nicer. Also, I feel energy coursing and zinging through my body for the rest of the day. That doesn't happen when I run in the afternoons. And (somewhat guiltily) I do admit that it's sometimes nice to have the run over with early.
Last week I'd made plans to have lunch in SF with a friend. I called Monday to ask if we were still on for "tomorrow". The "still on" part was fine, but the plan was actually for Thursday.* Part of the plan was for me to run across the bridge and meet right after because she knew I was so nervous about running across the bridge. Even though neither she nor anyone else would be there, I decided to stick with that part of my plan on Tuesday morning, not wanting to feel the trepidation about running on the bridge for another few days. Paradoxically, I also didn't really want anyone else to have to be around if I had some sort of chickening-out episode.
And so, tomorrow's Thursday and I'm going to stick with that original plan and try to run it again.
So, what was/am I scared of? Earthquake; a car swerving and (impossibly) breaking through the barrier; getting hit by a cyclist (commuter or tourist); getting otherwise injured; but mostly, being somehow suddenly tempted to jump off for no reason; just wussing out. Obviously, none of those things happened (and I sure hope they won't tomorrow!) and it was a pretty good run.
I drove over the bridge, parked on the south side, put 6 quarters in the meter (1 quarter = 15 minutes) and ran first toward Marin, in a bit of fog and cold. I was so scared for the first few minutes that I forgot that I was supposed to be in awe of where I was. But I also forgot to be miserable running in the morning. I relaxed a bit after about 9 minutes and realized that it was indeed a glorious place to be running, but not quite as romantic as I'd always imagined it. The noise from the cars was a distraction, as was wondering how much exhaust to breathe in was too much. I also realized that I was running on concrete, not asphalt and that I probably can't do that too often. When I got to the Vista Point on the Marin side, the old cramping started and I had to stop my watch and use the restroom. Twice. I didn't feel better until halfway or so through the trip back. Then the fog started lifting and the music that the iPod cued up got more motivating and the cramps eventually faded. The last few minutes of the run were actually embarrassingly cathartic...
Hoping that tomorrow's run is marked by less fear and no intermissions.
*I've been having calendar issues lately. Probably a topic for another blog.
No comments:
Post a Comment