I hit the 6 button in the elevator so I could stop to check my mailbox on my way to the office.
I recognized the handwriting immediately, but even if there'd been no note, I'd have known who sent it. We share an affinity for the plastic bags from our favorite bookstores (and really, are there any that aren't?). They never get "reduced or recycled" and only rarely are they "re-used". If you ever get something packaged in one by either of us, you will know that you are held in highest esteem, greatest affection and are worthy of the precious bag we've been hording for what it represents...I still haven't unwrapped the book. As I walked back to my office, I turned the package over in my hands and smoothed the plastic until it was transparent and I could read the book's title and author, La novela según los novelistas, Cristina Rivera Garza (coordinadora). When I got to the office, I crinkled the plastic. One of many things I love about Librerías Ghandi is that they use bags made of strong enough plastic to provide secure transport for the books I buy there, even when I'm shlepping them 5 miles through the Mexico City airport...the sound of that unique plastic, the store's logo, the word "for" preceding my name swirled through my head and heart and there were tears dropping onto the yellow plastic when I entered the office. "¡Pero, mujer!" she exclaimed, "¿Qué te pasa? Qué tienes?" Cuando se lo expliqué, creo que me entendió perfectamente.
I immediately turned on the computer to fire off a thank you in response to the message that was waiting.
"Anyway, it is a brief book, so enjoy. It is a gift from C. who never
says "you betcha."
Best,
I am sending the book with"
"¡¡Thank you!! "C.'s" gift, sin exageración, salvífico, as are interactions with you in general. This book in its more than apt wrapper is... perfecto. You always know...very few people have as high a rate of acierto with me as you do." Anyway, I'm a little fahrklempt. So much so that I can't turn off the italics...
Thank you so much.
Do let's talk soon.
Love,
Val
No comments:
Post a Comment