26 September, 2008

Commonalities between the Top Gear in Botswana episode and the presidential candidates' debate:

1. The men on each program all had on special bracelets!
2. People who know me might be incredulous that I watched both of those.
3. There's lots of bickering!
4. They're showing off what they know about other countries.
5. I can't tell if they don't like each other but make a show of respect if they actually do respect each other and make a show of bickering.
6. I viewed neither at its original airing time.

Indeed, I'm watching the debate now (22:07) and it's reallyreally cool because at the bottom of the screen I can see the screen names and comments of people sending messages in some sort of live feed. But the comments aren't just sitting there until the next one comes in. When the next one comes in, the words of the comment it replaces form an ascending and dissolving word cloud! Unfortunately, the observations of my compatriots are not nearly as interesting or novel as the tilty word cloud. Insightful would be much too much to hope for. The comments are called "tweets" - no wonder the rest of the world no longer really takes US seriously.

2 comments:

Valerie said...

Can't believe I watched the debate, period. But even worse, I watched it on a ridiculous channel (CURNT) whose news program is called Infomania.Vertiginous switching among entertainment/finance/just plain crap.
My ignorance of politics is matched only by my failure to recognize low-quality TV.

Valerie said...

But the title "Infomania" on the CURNT channel is apt. Clever.